Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Production Report 8a

In this post, I will adapt my opening section of my outline. Please keep in mind that I still need to add photos into my QRG this is just the content of it. :)

Outline Item:

Opening Section:

My opening section will include an attention grabber for the reader. My genre for this specific project is a QRG; therefore, I will begin talking about the importance of context and rhetorical situation when one is professionally writing. I will then continue to talk about my major and the possible career fields it leads into. Next, I will introduce my interviewees and give a brief background summary on both of them.

Adaptation of Outline Item:

Opening Section of QRG:

Everything there is to know on how Physiology professors and researchers create texts in the work that they do
I recently interviewed two retired physiology professors at the University of Arizona over the past few weeks: Professor Eldon Braun and Professor William Dantzler. Both of the interviewees have PhD titles who worked for the University of Arizona.. In my interviews, I discussed the kinds of writing and composing genres they mostly used in their field.
Why is rhetorical situation so crucial when one is professionally writing?
Being able to understand and analyze the rhetorical situation of your writing can help contribute to strong, audience-focused and organized writing.

 One of my interview questions was “is there anything about professional communication in the medical field that you think students should know?
Dantzler replied, “The one thing I would emphasize is before you present anything, organize your thoughts and decide what you are going to present and who you are presenting to. The biggest problem is always writing for graduate students; it is hard to teach them to write, it takes so much time and most students don’t know how to write because they aren’t taught in junior high and high school. When you are writing something, remember to keep track of parallel ideas and sentence structure. You cant have inappropriate writing styles, especially when presenting science. Make an outline even of a sentence; if you are organized, your writing will fall together!”

The three main genres that each professor brought up were scientific papers, orally presentations, and PowerPoints. Depending on what kind of information is being presented, each of these genres have specific conventions that must be followed in order to be successful. 

What is the rhetorical situation?

The purpose of a scientific paper is to present large amounts of research usually published in a journal. I know what you are thinking, how overwhelming! Don’t get too ahead of yourself, this is why conventions are important when writing a scientific paper. The audience for a scientific paper typically consists of other scientists and researchers.
Professor Braun stated, “You write a scientific paper for the experts in the field, for a wide audience of scientists so they can read and understand information.”
Oral presentations are typically used for preliminary publications that are presented in 10 minutes or less. Most small research is presented this way and there is a more clearly defined and specific audience. 
Powerpoints, on the other hand, are necessary for an audience of students or people who are not as familiar with the subject of the powerpoint. This is vastly different from a scientific paper because it is much simpler and easier to understand for a general audience.

Audience Questions:
I decided to use an attention grabber for my audience in my introduction. Because I am using a QRG for Project 2, I came up with a clear and interesting title so that the reader knows exactly what the topic of the QRG is. 

The actual production of this material was slightly difficult because at first I wasn't sure what to include in the introduction. There is so much information to present that it is crucial I organize it in the best way possible so I don't lose my audience. Once I got on the right track and dedicated writing my opening section on informing the reader on the rhetorical situation, the process became much easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment