Sunday, January 31, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There

In this post, I am going to explain what I found on Twitter feeds that pertain to my major.
Goldbach, Bernard. "Logo of Twitter."  March 9, 2009. Flickr.

After searching my major on twitter, physiology, I found that most people talk about advancing through opportunities and grants that could fund research. In fact, there is a Physiology Society twitter that devotes most of its tweets to informing followers of upcoming events and workshops that may provide financial aid for research and lab work.

Additionally, there are accounts that provide breaking news about physiology all around the world. There are other physiology twitter accounts that are more humorous and less information heavy. It seems like their main purpose is to quiz their followers by describing a certain muscle or bone and where it is located in the body and it is up to the followers to guess the answer.

In my opinion, the two most interesting conversations or stories I found in the twitter feeds can be found in Physiology News and Experimental Physiology twitter accounts. Physiology News provides news story headlines and links to the articles with breaking news regarding anatomy and physiology around the world. 

The Experimental Physiology twitter account provides original research on all subjects relating to the human body. For example, there is an article link on energy metabolism and how it is effected by high-altitude environments, while there is an additional article link on single muscle fibre contractile properties and how they differ between body builders, power athletes, and control subjects.

Overall, I was surprised at the amount of information there is on twitter regarding my major. I had expected to see only things similar to what the Physiology Society twitter provided: clubs, meetings, research opportunities, and grants that are mostly available to graduate students and adults already starting their careers. Instead, I found incredibly interesting links to various physiology websites with articles providing breaking news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment